Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Death of Cap

Yes, I know this is a bit late, but I figured it's better late than never. Comics have been a big part of my life in the past couple of years. I have funneled a lot of cash into colored pieces of paper and even got a Scott Pilgrim tattoo. I just got back from the Buffalo Comic Con where I met Graham Nolan (the creator of Bane), and picked up some indie comics.

Comics mirror the real world, as does most fiction. One of the best examples is the death of Captain America in 2008. He was fatally shot following the events of Civil War, a story arc that compared super powers with weapons of mass destructions and the controlling of them. Super heroes were split, when the debate of registering your super powers and identities was brought up. Captain America believed that this was a violation of our civil liberties and brought the debate to court, after which he was shot on the court steps and killed.

Captain America defines the American spirit and is a metaphor for America itself. Following a post 9-11 world, Cap and his writers were put in the position of how he is going to handle these sensitive topics. His writers chose to make him a metaphor for for a liberal America and his death as a statement on documents like the Patriot Act and America's involvement in foreign affairs.

1 comment:

  1. Le sigh. Since this is a topic that actually interests you, I'd have liked to see way more specifics about the reading and class discussion, and posted way sooner. Perfeser haz a sad :-(

    ReplyDelete